Wednesday 8 February 2012

Question 2- 2nd draft of evaulation


How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

There are some difference with my main product and my ancillary text; however there are also some similarities between the both. The location of my media product is in a forest and this is the same place I decided to do my photo shot for my ancillary text. The reason begin is that I wanted my digipak to have the same effective background that my media product does and also majority of the artist songs are very unusual and different, this is why I believed that a forest would be the perfect location as it is an unsual place to be on a normal day.
In our main product our artist wore a white top which symbolised purity however when arranging my photo shoot I requested for my artist to wear a black top because I wanted her to look mature and older and I also wanted to show another side to my artist which is down to earth. However although I changed the top the main thing I made sure I kept was the jean shorts. I decided to keep this item because in my main product the short are shown often and have now become part of the star iconography as she’s wearing it in all of my photos. For example over the last couple months Beyonce has been seen wearing leotards in many of her music videos, the fact that she has persisted to wear this often, has now made it  part of her star image and this is exactly why I wanted to keep the jean shorts, so that my artist could be identified with something.
The way in which I represented my artist make-up and hair in my ancillary text compared to my main product is completely different. In my main product her hair is down and has this messy’I don’t care’ look to it which show that my artist is different and isn’t scared of being unique and akward. However in my ancillary text my artist look well put together because her hair is up in a bun although again it’s a little bit messy it shows that she is versatile and also that she isn’t perfect. Her make-up in the main product is very heavy, the fiery red lipstick and the dark black and gold eye shadow implies that she is outgoing and isn’t afraid of looking ‘over the top’. This could get two reactions from the audience; they could love the fact that she’s different and isn’t the typical ‘girl next door’ or they could hate the fact that she’s different and just wish she could be more mainstream.
The front cover of my ancillary text is a close-up shot of my artist face. Personally I believe that it is important to put a picture of my artist  on the front cover because then the audience can recognise her from her video and also this will enable them to make a comparison between the way my artist I portrayed in her video and the way she portrayed in the digipak and magazine advert. Also this picture shows a completely different side to my artist because in the picture she looks calm and reserved whereas in my main product we can see a bit of feistiness in her character as she singing. Although the audience maybe be confused as to how exactly she is portrayed, the one thing they will pick up on is the fact in both in the media product and ancillary text she is in the forest, this makes her appear like a strong brave women. I say this because it's not everyday someone goes to the forest alone especially a women who in society is seen as fragile and Un-heoric.  My magazine advert has a long shot of my artist sitting in a frail position with a smirk on her face. Even though she has this smirk on her face, it is obvious that she has a lot going on in her head because its almost as if she's in her own world, this could be due to the fact that she is an unusual isolated environment, with no one around.


Our main product and my ancillary text are very effective with one another in terms of camera shots. In our main product there's evidence of close-up shots on the artist which is a very important aspect for R&B music videos. I made sure that on the front cover of my music video my artist was the central images, the reason why i decided to do this is because  in  the R&B music industry, its all about the artist therefore close -up shots on both music videos and front covers of CD's are essential selling point for the artist because without this there wouldn't be many sales.  

No comments:

Post a Comment